By Marvin Zelkowitz
Quantity fifty five covers a few relatively scorching subject matters. Linda Harasim writes approximately schooling and the net in "The digital collage: A country of the Art." She discusses the problems that might must be addressed if on-line schooling is to dwell as much as expectancies. Neville Holmes covers a comparable topic in his bankruptcy "The web, the internet, and the Children." He argues that the internet is an evolutionary, instead of innovative, improvement and highlights the department among the wealthy and the terrible inside and throughout countries. carrying on with the WWW subject, George Mihaila, Louqa Raschid, and Maria-Esther Vidal examine the issues of utilizing the net and discovering the knowledge you want.Naren Ramakrishnan and Anath Grama talk about one other point of discovering appropriate info in huge databases of their contribution. They talk about the algorithms, options, and methodologies for potent program of medical facts mining.Returning to the net subject, Ross Anderson, Frank Stajano, and Jong-Hyeon Lee deal with the difficulty of protection regulations. Their survey of the main major safeguard coverage versions within the literature indicates how protection may perhaps suggest various things in numerous contexts.John Savage, Alan Selman, and Carl Smith take a step again from the functions and tackle how theoretical machine technological know-how has had an impression on useful computing thoughts. eventually, Yuan Taur takes a step even extra again and discusses the improvement of the pc chip.Thus, quantity fifty five takes us from the very basics of machine science-the chip-right to the functions and person interface with the internet.
Read or Download Advances in Computers, Vol. 55 PDF
Best computers books
The 2 quantity set LNCS 4843 and LNCS 4844 constitutes the refereed court cases of the eighth Asian convention on computing device imaginative and prescient, ACCV 2007, held in Tokyo, Japan, in November 2007. The forty six revised complete papers, three planary and invited talks, and a hundred thirty revised poster papers of the 2 volumes have been conscientiously reviewed and seleceted from 551 submissions.
- Samba Ldap Squid
- Adobe Creative Suite 5 Design Premium All-in-One For Dummies
- Logic, Language and Computation: Festschrift in Honor of Satoru Takasu
- The Book of IRC: The Ultimate Guide to Internet Relay Chat
- Exploring Macromedia Studio 8, Edition: 1st Edition: Sept. 2005
Extra info for Advances in Computers, Vol. 55
4. Establishing a First-Rate Virtual University Now that we have reviewed the typical qualities of the virtual professor, virtual learner, and virtual course, we should summarize what it would take to establish a first-rate virtual university before looking at several existing models. 1 Faculty Credentials The interest in enhanced learning opportunities is being clouded by political and financial battles that ignore educational issues. Both the promoters and the critics of online learning seem to share a common and naive view that it is machine driven rather than learning driven, with both sides focusing on the technology and ignoring the pedagogy.
Below we synthesize selected data analyses. 8 The Virtual Professor The virtual professor is an educator who actively chooses or prefers to teach online instead of or in addition to teaching traditional classes. Contrary to the general image of online instructors as young and male, we found that three-quarters of the professors adopting the Virtual-U were senior faculty and over one-third were female, and the majority taught in the social sciences, humanities, and health sectors, along with engineering and computing science.
In addition, a class of 20 to 25 students is likely to generate a reasonably active discussion. As students progress to upper division and to graduate courses, the critical mass for good discussion goes down as each student becomes more of an expert in the subject matter and has more inherent incentive to participate. Courses offered on a shorter time frame (6 to 8 weeks, rather than 13+ weeks) would likely benefit from small class size (8 to 12 students). Research and field experience yield the same conclusion: the technology is not a mechanism for generating large class sizes nor for increasing the efficiency of the educational process.