By Pierre Delhaes
Carbon solids were used by guy given that prehistoric instances, first as a resource of warmth after which for different reasons; those are used as key markers for various civilizations. the basic position performed by means of coal mines through the business revolution as a primary resource of strength is a vital element, which was once then increased throughout the improvement of carbochemistry.
This ebook starts off by way of describing using stable carbons as conventional fabrics, for instance within the metal and for ceramics, then relocating directly to their technological makes use of equivalent to energetic carbons and carbon fibers, etc., sooner than discussing nanocarbons, the jewel within the crown of latest technological technology. the ultimate bankruptcy analyzes the present monetary and social influence of carbon solids.
Read or Download Carbon Science and Technology: From Energy to Materials PDF
Best materials & material science books
Written by means of the easiest researchers within the box, this up to date treatise fills the space for a high-level paintings discussing present fabrics and procedures. It covers all of the steps concerned, from vitrification, rest and viscosity, correct as much as the prediction of glass houses, paving the best way for stronger equipment and purposes.
This book presents a superb one-stop source for figuring out an important present matters within the study and advances in sintering technological know-how and expertise. content material:
"Designing with Plastics" is an essential device for each engineer and clothier operating with plastic fabrics. it's going to help in the improvement of plastic components that aren't merely sensible and esthetically exciting but additionally manufacturable whereas assembly ever expanding end-use necessities.
Throughout the translation, the writer had the chance to re view numerous chapters, making an allowance for the newer literature. so far as attainable all new theoretical options and experi psychological info released earlier than 1963 were quoted and mentioned lower than the theoretical standpoint of this booklet.
- Kinetics in nanoscale materials, 2nd Edition
- Handbook of Software Solutions for ICME
- Stainless Steels for Design Engineers
- Bioceramic Coatings for Medical Implants: Trends and Techniques
- The Science & Engineering of Materials, Fifth Edition
Extra resources for Carbon Science and Technology: From Energy to Materials
BOUSSAC, “la photosynthèse”, Clefs-CEA, vol. 49, pp. 86-92, 2004. [TEM 00] R. TEMPLE, Le génie de la Chine: 3000 ans de découvertes et d’inventions, Philippe Picquier, Paris, 2000. W. VAN KREVELEN, Coal, Typology, Chemistry, Physics, Constitution, Elsevier Publishing Company, Amsterdam, 1961. [VER 01] J. VERHOEVEN, “Le mystère des épées de Damas”, Pour la Science, vol. 286, pp. 48-54, 2001. Chapter 2 The Polymorphism of Carbon The main goal of this chapter is to assess the established knowledge regarding carbonaceous solids, which is based on three important advances made during the last century.
3. Uses of dispersed carbons The great civilizations of antiquity developed various uses for pulverulent carbons. The Egyptians used plant-based charcoal as an antidote and remedy for stomach problems, as reported in papyri from the 16th Century BC [BER 75]; its adsorbent properties were also used 14 Carbon Science and Technology to filter and purify water. Smoke residue or soot and animal-based charcoals were used in makeup (kohl) and for tattoos. In their treatises on medicine, Hippocrates and Pliny the Elder, in his monumental Natural History, wrote of the use of wood charcoal to treat certain illnesses [DER 95].
The movement from one state to another is characterized by a phase transition, a phenomenon that obeys wellestablished rules. In the case of a pure body with a single solid phase, there is an invariant triple point with coexistence of the three phases. In the case of allotropy, there is competition between the different solid phases, obeying general stability criteria. In the solid phase, atoms or molecules are ordered spatially thanks to the presence of chemical bonds and the associated energy gain.